- This event has passed.
Womxn in VT’s Food System: Part 5: Impactful Structural Change, Land Sovereignty, and Reparations
October 8 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Sponsored by: Vermont Community Loan Fund
Thursday, October 8th
In this panel we explore the different approaches to building land sovereignty in Vermont. Because access to land is central to identity, culture, food production, and wealth creation, land theft has long been a tool of oppression against marginalized communities. These leaders are building alternative land-access models to strengthen their communities, increase local food security, right past wrongs, and bring lasting change to the state of Vermont.
- Tracy Zschau, Vice President for Conservation at Vermont Land Trust
- Akua Deirdre Smith Shabaaz, BlackOUT Collective, Reparations Summer Coordinator and Drinking Gourd
- Alison Nihart, Agrarian Commons Board Member
- Melody Walker, Elnu Abenaki Band
- Steffen Glenn Gillom, President of the Windham County Branch of the NAACP
Zymora Cleopatra Davinchi (she/her), BIPOC Food Sovereignty Program Manager at ShiftMeals