RECIPE: Cannabis Infused Mexican Hot Chocolate
Now that we’re settling into colder temperatures, it’s the perfect time to bust out hot cocoa, which can be turned into a medicated drink using a variety of methods. We like this spicy variety, but you can simply leave out the cayenne if you’d rather keep it mellow flavor-wise. While we chose to use infused butter and chocolate sauce for this cannabis hot chocolate recipe, we have provided substitutions and alternatives below.
In this recipe, I chose to medicate the chocolate sauce separately from the milk. If you really wanted to medicate the hell out of your hot cocoa, you could infuse the milk in the cocoa or chocolate sauce with cannabis, bhang style. You can also use infused sugar in your canna-chocolate sauce.
Start Infusing Treats, Sweets, & Desserts with The MagicalButter Machine! Plus, Get Free Shipping With Your Order
When it comes to topping your drink, presentation – and aroma – are everything. To create an absolutely killer medicated drink, top off your THC-infused cocoa with homemade marshmallows.
For the finishing touch, freshly grated cinnamon is far more aromatic than its packaged powder counterpart. Use the smallest side of your grater, hold the cinnamon stick at an angle and gently grate over the cups as a finishing touch. And remember, as always, dose with caution!
Get more cannabis recipes and processing tips.
Vegan substitution: Sub coconut or almond milk for the whole milk, and vegan cannabutter for regular butter. Vegan butter and dairy-free milk can both be infused the same way as regular dairy products.
Less spicy: I like this variety with a bit of spice, but if you prefer regular hot chocolate just leave out the cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
For a thicker and creamier cup of hot chocolate: Use 2 to 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate. Warning: You’ll probably be able to stand a spoon up in your cocoa once you get to 4oz. If you choose to make it richer, you can probably add a touch more spice as well.
Recipe for Infused Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk or nondairy substitute
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons canna-chocolate sauce (see below for recipe)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (use more or less for preference)
- Optional: whipped cream or marshmallows, and freshly grated cinnamon
- In a small sauce pot, heat milk and sugar on medium-low until sugar completely dissolves.
- Continue heating milk to a low rolling simmer, and then remove from heat.
- Stir in canna-chocolate sauce and spices.
- Serve in a heat-proof mug and top with whipped cream or marshmallows, and freshly grated cinnamon on top.
Make Edibles the Easy Way with the MagicalButter Machine. Plus, Free Shipping is Included! No Code Necessary.
Recipe for Canna-Chocolate Sauce
Makes around 2½ cups.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (use infused sugar for an extra strong sauce)
- 1½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cannabutter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Mix your dry ingredients: sugar, flour, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Whisk gently until combined and set aside.
- In a small bowl or a small sauce pot, heat milk on medium-low to medium heat just until a gentle rolling bubble begins. Don’t walk away while your milk is heating!
- Turn heat off and whisk in cannabutter, bittersweet chocolate and vanilla extract; whisk gently until completely combined (approx. 1 – 2 mins).
- While the mixture is still warm, whisk in dry ingredients a little at a time.
- Stir constantly for 6 minutes, and finish with a pinch of salt.
- Pour your leftover chocolate sauce into a (wide-mouth) glass jar with a tight fitting lid, and use immediately or store in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. Trust us, it won’t last long!
This article may contain affiliate links, for which we receive a modest commission that helps support our platform and our mission to provide news and educational content.
Thanks for reading! 🙏🏽
Heady Vermont is made possible with support from readers.
If you find our news and educational content valuable, please consider
a yearly membership – and get premium access to even more content, events,
priority alerts and exclusive partner offers.
And guess what we’ll never do? We’ll NEVER overload a recipe page with
so many ads that you can barely get to the ingredients list. We’ll keep it
educational and fun – That’s our promise to you.